The Humanitarian Accountability Partnership International is a multi-agency initiative working to improve the accountability of humanitarian action to people affected by disasters and other crises. HAP members range from agencies with a mandate of emergency relief and development activities to institutional donors. They are committed to meeting the highest standards of accountability and quality management.
Vision and mission
The vision of HAP International is a humanitarian system with a trusted and widely accepted accountability framework, which is transparent and accessible to all relevant parties.
Its mission is to make humanitarian action accountable to its intended beneficiaries through self-regulation by its members linked by common respect for the rights and dignity of beneficiaries.
HAP’s strategic value proposition is that quality, accountability and programme results are inextricably linked. By improving agency accountability in a systemic way, programme quality, impact and outcomes will also be enhanced. The essential tools for driving this virtual circle are the application of a programme quality management system, reinforced through shared learning and independent verification. All stakeholders, intended beneficiaries, affected communities, donors and agencies alike, make measurable gains as a consequence of the work undertaken by the partnership.
The objectives of HAP International are:
- to develop and maintain the HAP Standard through research, consultation, and collaboration
- to support members and potential members of HAP International in applying the HAP Standard by providing training and advice
- to communicate, advocate, promote, and report on the HAP Standard
- to monitor and report on implementation of the HAP Standard and to certify its members accordingly
- to assist members in finding solutions where concerns or complaints are raised about them