The HAP Certification Scheme provided a rigorous verification of an organisation’s accountability and quality management. Given the merger between HAP and People In Aid to form the CHS Alliance, third-party verification and certification against the CHS will be undertaken by the Humanitarian Quality Assurance Initiative.
Find out more about the Verification Scheme and the Verification Framework for the Core Humanitarian Standard as developed by the CHS Alliance.
The following information is for historical purposes only, and should not be used by organisations looking to work towards verification and certification against the CHS. Organisation interested in verification and certification should visit CHS Alliance Verification.
HAP worked extensively to research the benefits of its Certification Scheme, both through looking at the impact of accountability mechanisms, and through focus group discussions with those organisations that have undergone a HAP Certification Audit. The key benefits of the HAP Certification Scheme include:
- Raised awareness of accountability and quality management among management and staff
- Improved policies and operational guidelines – leading, in some cases, to the development of practical field guidance and tools
- Responsibilities for accountability being more clearly assigned at headquarters and programme level
- Clarification on what information should be routinely provided to communities in order for them to make informed decisions and to be able to hold organisations to account
- Better processes for delivering information
- Increased understanding of how participation is central to accountability
- Assisting in the development and implementation of complaints handling mechanisms
- Establishing greater transparency in interactions with communities and partners
For more information on the HAP Certification Scheme and its process, download the HAP Guide to Certification or the Eligibility Criteria for Enrolment in the HAP Certification Scheme, or visit our Certification process webpage.
HAP, along with the Steering Committee for Humanitarian Response (SCHR) Certification Review Project, held a learning event in Bangkok in October 2013 to discuss the question: Can certification contribute to humanitarian effectiveness? The learning event report is now available to download.
Those organisations wishing to enrol in the HAP Certification Scheme should click here.